Wednesday, March 26

Our little adventure to South Bank...

Last night, I decided that Beth and I should figure out how to catch the train and that we should go exploring and find out what South Bank is all about. The weather was forecast to be fine and sunny and a glorious 30 degrees... so it seemed like the perfect weather to go and find Streets Beach (which is an artificial beach right on the river front at South Bank). So I packed our togs (queensland speak for bathers) and things last night in preparation for a morning trip. This morning Beth decided to get up at 7:45am... she was pretty worn out from going to the park and the pool yesterday. So after a quick bite of breakfast, we got ready and walked to the train station (Well, I walked, and Beth got to ride in luxury in the strolller... :p). It was only a 5 minute walk (downhill)... so it was nice and easy. We hopped on the train that arrived just before 9am and 5 stops later we were at South Bank Station by 9:15am. It was a short train trip... although, Beth did get a bit nervous, especially when we went through dark tunnels and also when the doors opened at the stations to let people on and off. I managed to keep her in her stroller by singing songs (Old McDonald, Round and Round the Garden, This Little Piggy and other wonderful nursery rhyme favourites).

We got to South Bank and we took a little wander through the Gardens which are so pretty and scenic... it's a lovely layout of beautiful garden greenery and cafes... and Griffith University is right next to it... It would be sooo fantastic to go to uni there... such a fab location! It didn't take long for us to find the beach... and even less time for Beth to start whinging to get in the water... So after changing her into her bathers and then finding a nice bit of shade, we wandered into the water... which was cool but not cold... I think the sun had warmed it up already.

The beach is split into 1 deep part in the middle and 2 shallow parts on either side, so Beth and I went and played in the shallows... They have done a great job of recreating a beach.. the water and the sand are very clean (pristine even!) and make you feel like you're in a resort in Tahiti... well.. it would if it wasn't for all the big buildings about the place and the river on the other side! But all in all... it's a great place to take kids... Not sure that adults would really enjoy it that much because it's not very big... but it's a cool novelty.

We spent a good 20-30 minutes frolicking in the water... Beth was so intent on just walking around... didn't take an interest in the sand at all... She had learnt that she couldn't walk too fast... and the sand seemed to make it easier for her to stabilise herself... and the fact that there were no waves made it even easier for her to negotiate the water. Towards the end of our paddle, she just kept walking into deep water (the water came up to her shoulders!) and then she was bobbing down and trying to dunk her head! She didn't care that she kept inhaling water! She's a crazy one... she has no fear! She also was kind of crawling in the shallow bits which kind of looked like she was swimming... She is such a water baby!

We only had a mini-battle to get her out of the water (I think she knew she was cold too... although, she kept eyeing off the water once I had her wrapped up in a towel!)and we found the toilets/changerooms and changed out of our bathers. And then we walked back to the train station and came home. We could have probably walked around a bit more and seen a bit more of the South Bank, but I didn't want to risk Beth getting tired and being grumpy on the way home.

Beth was much better on the train ride home (she was full of blueberries and grapes) maybe because she was tired from all the swimming. I have to mention here that I came across so many helpful people at the train stations... There is a little step up from the platfrom to the train and everytime I had to get on or off a train, although I could have manoevred the stroller on and off by myself, someone would offer to help lift the stroller with Beth in it onto the train. I accepted their offers gratefully... It was really lovely to come across such friendliness and helpfulness and made me feel like the world is a wonderful place.

So that was our adventure... I am happy that we managed to negotiate the public train system without any problems... and it was really a pleasant train trip without the hassle of driving and parking. It only costs $4.60 for a day trip.

I have a few photos of our mini trip that I took with our point and shoot Canon... I didn't think I could manage to travel on the train with the stroller, handbag, big camera and swim bag... so I forwent our good camera... having said that... I have decided point and shoot cameras do come in very handy... I took the photos of Beth in the water with one hand... I need the other hand free to catch Beth when she falls in the water... so I can't turn my nose up at the good old P&S.. it has a time and place... I would never have been able to take photos of her otherwise.



1 comment:

Maria said...

Hey Clara,

Absolutely LOOVE the togs Beth is wearing - how cuuute!!

When I see cute little girls in their pink stuff it gets me all clucky and I wonder what it would be like to have a little girl...not just yet, but the thought has crossed my mind ;-)

Thanks for the cool comments. I haven't heard much back from other family and friends that I have sent it to, but I suspect this whole blog thing is new to them and that they probably have not realised how it all works :-))

Sweet kisses to sweet Beth!

maria.