Tuesday, June 7

Photo A Day - June - Week 1

Back in April, when I roped a whole bunch of family and friends into joining in photo-a-day with me for a month, my beautiful SIL Bao commented to me that she was struggling for ideas and that I had it easy doing photo-a-day because I always have my girls around me and they make cute subjects. And yes, to a degree, I agree... the whole reason I got into photography was to capture memories of my girls... so it comes naturally to me to take photos of them everyday. Although, anyone who has ever taken photos of little people will know that they are not always the easiest subjects to work with... ;) However, I think doing photo-a-day so far this year has vastly improved my confidence and ability to take photographs of children.

But in the interest of doing something a little different - I am dedicating June to being a month of photos where the girls don't feature in the photo-a-day. For my family back home in Adelaide, don't worry, I'll still be taking photos of them this month... can't let a month of them growing up go past without taking photos! I'll just post the girls' photos up separately.... (and also on FB, for those who are on there) But photo-a-day June will feature more about me (you might even see a self-portait...), my everyday and the things around me...

June 1 - New Shoes
A few random facts about my feet.

1. I have a mini-complex about the size of my feet. I used to be ultra paranoid about it in highschool, but I've gotten over it mostly... :o). In proportion to my height, I should be about a size 5 or 5.5. But I'm a size 6 ... and have recently discovered post-Catherine my feet seemed to have gained an extra half a size... so I'm now a gigantic size 6.5. There are advantages to being this shoe size... Bao always tells me how hard it is to find shoes in a size 5 or 5.5.... so I'm lucky I've never had trouble finding shoes that fit me.

2. I am pigeon-toed. Always have been. And it runs in the family, because my sister is pigeon-toed... and so is Elizabeth. Apparently I also walk in a very particular/distinctive manner... to the point that a couple of friends in highschool thought that I had walked with a caliper at a previous point in my life. Yes, I have some weird friends... lucky I was good enough friends with them to laugh hysterically about that story they had concocted in their imaginations.

3. I love ballet flats. Even pre-kids I was obsessed with them. But now, they are an absolute staple in my wardrobe because I'm too unco to chase kiddies in heels (even small ones). I bought these shoes on the weekend and I love the colour (something a bit different for me) and I love that they make my feet look smaller than they are... (*laugh*... yes, that's the shoe size complex coming out in me...)


June 1 - New Shoes


June 2 - Morning Silhouette
Morning light casting shadows of the branches outside the window on the vertical blinds in the lounge room

June 2 - Morning Silhouette


June 3 - Banh Bao
I had the random idea strike me to have my first ever attempt at making banh bao at about 8:30am... I had all the ingredients at hand... so I googled a few recipes... combined a few ideas together and voila... 2.5 hours later, one dozen fresh banh bao... :) It would have only have been 2 hours, if my gas bottle hadn't run out half way through cooking the last batch and I had to rejig a contraption on the induction stove to finish them off. (My giant steamer is too big to work on our stove.) Making them was no where near as hard as I had imagined ... I recall my mum spending and entire day making banh bao so I always thought it was hard. It does help though that I got my KitchenAid to knead the dough for me, so that cut the time down a lot. They were delicious... this will probably start being a regular occurence. The advantage of making these early in the day, was that dinner was all ready for that night, so I got to take the girls out for an afternoon shoot too... :)

June 3 - Banh Bao


June 4 - In Search Of Light
Last week, I glanced out the window one afternoon and sighed to myself as I saw the golden glow and said to myself "Oh, the light is beautiful today..."... which lead Elizabeth to come running over and say to me "Can we go outside and take photos?" ... LOL... she is truly a child of mine... I love that at the age of 4.5 she already knows what beautiful light means... :) Alas, on that day, I had to get dinner cooking so there was no time to take photos.... So I made it up to Elizabeth by taking her out for a photoshoot on this day (photos are up on FB, but a blog post will follow soon)... the light was just d.i.v.i.n.e... So glad I forwent an afternoon nap and went in search of the light instead... :)

June 4 - Seeking Light


June 5 - Vintage Suitcase
I've been searching for a vintage suitcase for ages and I finally found one yesterday... :)

June 5 - Vintage Suitcase


June 6 - Signs From Suburbia
Went and did a spot of shopping at Chermside during lunch today, and then Catherine fell asleep in the car afterwards and it was only 45 mins until kindy pickup... so I drove around and looked for something interesting to photograph and this little little market stand in front of a house caught my eye... so quaint and sweet.

June 6 - Signs From Suburbia


June 7 - The Fallen
We pass this tree every day when I take Elizabeth to kindy... (A camelia perhaps??? My botanical knowledge is not that far reaching.) It's just outside the front gate... and it's had a beautiful bed of fallen petals lying there for a couple of weeks now and everytime I see it, I've said to myself "I must take a photo of that!" Finally got around to doing it today... :)

June 7 - The Fallen

No comments: