Thursday, April 10

Taking the term "Eating Machine" to a whole new level...

I am still chuckling to myself after the events that have just happened...

This morning Beth and I went to the library to return our library books and to browse some books... Beth spent a good part of the time pulling books out of boxes and leaving them scattered on the floor. And then had a hissy fit when I wouldn't let her press buttons on the borrowing machine... All fun and games...

We went to Chermside Westfield after that and browsed around for an hour or so... Beth was starting to get the munchies (had eaten all the snacks I had brought), so I got some hot chips for her to eat for "pre-lunch" (yes... bad.. but she doesn't have chips very often... so it's only a treat). Then we did our grocery shopping for the week... (we have our friends Koh and Vinnie coming around for dinner tomorrow night, so wanted to buy stuff so I can prep tonight). Anyway... yesterday, Beth didn't have her nap until 12:10pm... so I thought she might do something similar today... so I started grocery shopping at 11am... I was doing an quick shop... so I was almost done by 11:20am... was walking down the aisle to get some juice... and I noticed Beth had her eyes closed... and she was eating a chip at the same time... and then she started to waver about and nod off backwards... all whilst munching on her chip!!! Now tell me that is not the funniest thing you have ever heard?! She was sleep-eating! Seeing it in person, I was laughing on the inside and going "Awww..." at the same time... I picked her up to try and get her to sleep on my shoulder (didn't want her to nod off backwards and fall out the back of the trolley seat)... but she semi-woke up. I had pretty much finished grocery shopping... so now we just had to go through the checkout... she sat in the trolley for a couple of minutes and started to nod off again (without food this time)... so I picked her up and rested her on my shoulder as we waited to go through checkout. Ever tried unloading/loading a shopping trolley with a 10kg+ child in your arm...? it's quite awkward... but we got there... managed to pay and switched Beth's position so she was lying in my arm instead of over my shoulder and then rested her on the trolley handle so it took some of her weight, whilst I carried her and pushed the trolley... (Hard to explain... but it worked quite well). This was a challenge ... sleeping child... trolley full of food... need to get to car. I was so fortunate that a cleaner at the shopping centre saw me and took pity on me and asked if I needed a hand and I gratefully took her up on that. The kindness of strangers really touches me... and she was just an angel. Her daughter has 4 kids , so she said she understood how hard it was to do things with kids in tow sometimes and was happy to help... but I was really touched by her kindness. She pushed the trolley for me right up to the car (which luckily wasn't that far away). And I strapped Beth into the carseat and then loaded up all the groceries into the boot and we headed home.

2 comments:

kristen said...

What a lovely blog to read.!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I guess we shouldn't surprised! The little Piglet! Of course people will want to help you, you have a gorgeous baby girl to melt them :) .

Bao