Monday, May 18

And I could walk 1000 miles...

Well, it certainly felt like I walked 1000 miles today... Today I had plans to visit Seaport and browse the shops, but with a demanding toddler in tow, I ended up changing our plans and winging it... Firstly, we missed the trolley by a couple of minutes and on the weekend it only runs every 30 minutes, so I decided to walk 5th Avenue and checkout the downtown shops and restaurants along the way. It's about a 20-25 minute walk to the Convention Centre (which was the direction we were walking). Half way down our walk, she starts yelling out repeatedly "Park! Park! Park!" So I decided we would check out a park near the Children's Museum, which turned out to a be a huge disappointment... it was grey and like a concrete cage! No slides, only 2 swings and couple of spinning things (which Beth didn't realy like). I was going to take Beth to the Children's Musuem, but it didn't open for another half an hour, so I decided to walk around Horton Plaza for a bit... went there, walked around, then I went into Gymboree again (I can't stay away from that store!) and bought a few more things for Beth (they were 30% off today!) I picked up the most gorgeous little top that was $25 reduced down to $6! And then, we had a bite of lunch before we wandered back to the Children's Museum. Just as we got there, Beth fell asleep! So I sat in the grasslands near by for an hour waiting for her to wake up... 60 mins passed and she was still fast asleep, so I decided to go for a walk and check out what the "Park at the Park" near Petco Park (which is a stadium) was like. That turned out to be boring... just a mound of grassland where people who can't get into the stadium can hang out. There was a baseball game on though, so it was really interesting to see the huge crowd and noise and the atmosphere that is associated with a ballgame... After all that walking, I decided I needed some coffee to perk me up, so I decided I would go and experience Starbucks in the States. I got (in true American style) a mocha (pronounced "Mow-ka", not "Mok-ka" apparently) frappochino ('cos that just seemed the most American thing to get). The coffee was a bit weird... but I just needed a caffeine hit to wake me up... Beth was still sleeping, so I just hung out at Starbucks and rested for a bit before I decided to walk on back to Horton Plaza again... Beth woke up (in a good mood for a change) and started telling me about the train that she could hear going past the minute she was awake. She'd slept for 2 hours, and it was too late to go to Children's Museum... so back to Horton Plaza and we wandered around Macy's for an hour. I managed to pick up 2 pairs of Levi jeans that fit (and I hate shopping for jeans, I have a lot of trouble getting ones that fit and don't gape at the waist!)... they were also petite sized, so they actually fit in the leg as well... I don't have to take them up! And the best part (and I don't mind paying good money for jeans)... they only cost me $57.57US for both pairs (that's about $26US each)... They were only $44US each full price, and then the guy at the cashier got me to sign up for a Macy's card and even though I was declined because I'm from overseas, I was eligble for a 15% and then a 11% off coupon... it was awesome! He was so cool for rigging the system so I could get the discounts...

Phan then met up with us ... he finished at the conference for the day at around 4:30pm, so we decided to gave dinner while we were at this end of town (which tends to have more of the good restaurants)... We ate at Sammy's tonight... a wood-fired pizza place... ordered a chicken, a new-york style and a hawaiian (for Beth) pizza... really decent pizza... very kid-friendly place (they gave beth a colouring sheet and crayons)... the place was buzzing for 5:20pm on a Sunday afternoon!

And that was pretty much all we did today... I will try and take Beth to the Children's Museum next week... it looks like a really cool place!

Tomorrow we're planning to go to the zoo... or Seaworld again... depends what kind of mood we're in... but I'm thinking probably the zoo...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LMAO at the fact that you got a Macys card even though you aren't a local...Beth napped for 2 hours? All that bed jumping at night is wearing her out!

Bao

xo