Tuesday, March 30

My Super Trooper...

Yesterday I took Beth and myself off to have our combined flu/swine flu shots... I was initially only going to get Beth done with swine flu only, but after consultation with our GP friends, we figured, if she was going to get jabbed, she may as well get jabbed for both the flu and swine flu, since that vaccine was now available... And even though I got a swine flu shot last year, I decided to get the combined shot just to cover myself (nothing worse than having to look after children while you're sick) and also I read some recommendations that apparently the baby can also get some immunity to the flu as a passed on effect from me having the vaccine. I got my shot free anyway because I'm pregnant thanks to an initiative of the federal government.

Anyway... I was really dreading taking Beth... I didn't tell her where we were going... I just said we were going to the shops (which is true, the medical centre is part of a shopping centre)... and then when we got there I said, we have to see the doctor for a little bit and then we'll go shopping... so we went in... went through the admin rigmarole and then Beth watched me get my shot done... and I said, "Look, mummy's having an injection, I'm a brave girl"... and then we told her she was going to have an injection too and it was going to hurt for just a little bit, but then it would stop... so I held her on my lap while she sat really still and cuddled Jemima really tight (seriously, I was expecting a struggle from her!), and then she actually watched the needle go in and flinched a bit... and then it was all over a few seconds later... no tears, no crying, no drama! She was *such* a brave girl, I was amazed! She wasn't fazed by it at all... she got a green jellybean as a reward from the doctor... and then while we waited for 15 minutes to make sure we didn't have any adverse reactions to the vaccine, I also gave her some stickers to entertain her, a chocolate frog and a few M&Ms as a reward... I thought she deserved it! She kept saying "I'm a brave girl.. I got a green jellybean... When I see Daddy, I can tell him I'm a brave girl!"... so we rang Phan and she told him over the phone that she was a brave girl... :)

Seriously, my fears of her having a meltdown were complete unfounded based on her reaction... She's one tough cookie. Hopefully it will go this smoothly again when I have to take her back in 4 weeks to have her second shot (children under 10 have to have 2 shots... doesn't that suck!)

Her Bac Bao Anh also rang her in the evening to say well done on being a brave girl and as soon as Phan put her on the phone she exclaimed excitedly "I had an injection! I'm a brave girl!" LOL... she makes it sound like it's a fun event!

We've only had some minor side effects, which was to be expected... but it still gave me terrible mother's guilt for putting my girl through all this... I just have to remind myself it's all for the greater good and to try and protect the baby as best we can. Beth woke up with a fever around 2:30am... managed to get some Dymadon into her (that was more of a drama than the needle!) and then she seemed to get back to sleep fine... I went and snuggled in her bed at around 6:30am and we fell asleep together and didn't get up 'til 8:30am! She's been a pretty good mood mostly... a little more irritable, sensitive than normal, and a bit flat and tired (read: spaced out in front of the TV), but all things considered, she's doing pretty well. I'm sporting a lingering headache, which is my only side-effect and my arm really hurts and feels like a dead weight from my shot, so I'm impressed Beth hasn't complained once about her arm... I would be!

We managed to get to playtime this morning which was good fun.. it was easter-themed, so we made an easter basket and some easter cards... and then came home (Beth was starting to lose it a little and get quite cranky), had a small bite of lunch and we both crashed out and had a mega-nap for 1.5 hours( AWESOME!), followed by some funny games in bed with soft toys...

So here's our super trooper girl this evening... She's rediscovered the frog mask (found during the artwork cull during the weekend) and is enjoying wearing it again... I know the photo is nothing special, but Phan totally surprised me out of the blue by getting me a 85mm f/1.8 lens today... I was totally was not expecting that... and it's not for any particular reason either... he just wanted to get it for me... he's spoils me far too much! My first non-L series lens, but its still sharp and I can see that I'm probably going to love using this focal length... this photo was taken in the quick 5 minutes I was mucking around indoors... for interest sake, shot at ISO 6400, f/1.8, 1/320... ah... it's been a while since I've shot at 1.8, so it's a lovely change! Can't wait to have a play around with it outside... hopefully tomorrow if the weather is kind to us...


New Toy...

No comments: